You may not think about your roof all that much. You probably just assume that everything is okay as long as it doesn’t have major visible holes. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. Your roof can look fine from the ground level, but without proper inspection by a roofing contractor in Seminole County, FL, you’ll never be able to tell if it’s prone leaking during a rainstorm or has another issue. Thankfully, there are a few things you can do as a homeowner to help protect against leaks:
- Clean your gutters: The easiest way to prevent your roof from springing a leak is to get up there and clean out your gutters! Your gutters are your home’s number one defense against troubles from rainwater. As you may know, they can clog up pretty quickly. Gutters that are clogged with leaves and other debris won’t function as they should and can cause big problems for both your roof and your home’s foundation. Clean them every few months to ensure they’re working correctly!
- Replace or fix broken gutters: Your gutters are designed to take quite a beating from the elements, but after a particularly nasty storm, your gutters may start to come loose from your roof. If you notice that your gutters aren’t flush against your roof, it’s time to have them repaired or possibly replaced. Gutters are designed to keep water off your roof, and if they’re not properly attached, there’s no way for them to do their job.
- Trim branches: It’s obviously nice to have trees on your property. They look great, and they can really help keep your home and yard shady and cool on hot days. That being said, you want to make sure that your tree branches aren’t hanging over your roof or gutters. A tree branch swaying in the wind can damage your roofing, which will definitely result in a leak during a storm.
- Make repairs as soon as possible: If your roof has been damaged by trees or by anything else, you need to have the broken shingles or tiles repaired as fast as possible. Any damaged area of your roof is a hot spot for leaks. One of our professionals will have your roof patched up and looking good to ensure there aren’t any leaks after the next storm!
- Use caulk: Do you have a chimney or skylight? If so, make sure it’s fully caulked! Rain will seep in through any un-caulked portion of your chimney or skylights and wind up wreaking havoc. If you aren’t comfortable caulking your roof yourself, just give us a call! One of our pros will do it for you to ensure there’s no chance of rainwater getting into your home.
Try these techniques at your home—we guarantee they’ll help prevent any leaks from happening in the near future. And remember, give Winter Springs Roofing & Repairs a call to arrange an inspection as soon as you can. Only a professional roofing contractor in Seminole County, FL can tell whether or not your roof needs to be repaired!