Investing in a new roof is an exciting decision, but it is important that you make a selection that ensures your roof lasts for a very long time on your home. The following guide will help you understand the basic components of every roof remodel in Central Florida, as well as some of the roofing options that are available to you:
- Covering: The outermost layer of covering that protects the rest of the roofing system from the weather is typically made up of either shingles, tile or metal and underlayment.
- Sheathing: Resting underneath the covering, the sheathing covers the house using boards or sheet material that is fastened to the roof’s rafters.
- Roof structure: The rafters and trusses that support the sheathing and the rest of your roof comprise the roof structure.
- Flashing: Every roof needs to have a way to eliminate water seepage into your home, and the sheet metal that is installed at the valleys serves as the flashing needed to make sure your roofing system stays dry.
- Drainage: For any roofing system to be effective, there has to be some type of drainage system in place. Either the shape, slope or layout of your roof must allow for the system to shed water.
The best roof covering option for your roof will be one that is durable, matches your personal style and comfortably fits within your budget:
- Shingles: The most common types of shingles are organic and fiberglass, with both containing layers of asphalt and granules that help to protect against algae buildup. Shingles can also be made of wood, although this type of shingling doesn’t retain the same amount of fire resistance unless the shingles have gone through a special treatment at the factory.
- Tile: Tile covering is used to accomplish the Mission and Spanish-style round-topped roofs that are commonly found in Florida and the Southwest region of the U.S. The one thing to keep in mind about tile covering is that it is heavy, and you will need to make sure that the roof structure that is in place can support the load before installation.
- Slate: Although this type of roof covering requires special skill for installation, slate is one of the longest lasting options available on the market. It can be purchased in many different colors and grades, and is typically found in the Northeastern area of the United States.
- Metal: Available in both panels and shingles, metal covering is both a weather- and flame-resistant choice. There are multiple shapes and configurations that can be selected, making them a popular choice for many residential and commercial applications.
You will also need to make sure that your roof has proper ventilation to ensure longevity, and you will need to keep it protected from the sun’s UV rays along with the rest of the weather conditions in your area. For help selecting the best system for your roof remodel in Central Florida, give us a call at Winter Springs Roofing & Repairs. Our knowledgeable staff has been constructing new roofs in the area since 1983, and we have the kind of experience you can trust to help you make the right choice.