Even if you don’t use your fireplace all that often, your chimney is still a staple of your roof. Chimneys add a special flair and unique look to each roof that can make your home stand out among the crowd. Unfortunately, chimneys don’t last forever, and sometimes need repairs to maintain their appearance and reduce further roofing problems. This post will cover a few of the most common types of repairs chimneys need in Central Florida:
- Obstruction: A blockage anywhere near the opening of the chimney poses a serious threat. If there’s an obstruction, toxic fumes—including deadly carbon monoxide—won’t be able to escape the chimney and will get trapped inside your home. Since it’s not always apparent that there is a blockage, we recommend hiring a professional to annually inspect your chimney for obstructions.
- Creosote: Homeowners with wood-burning fireplaces need to worry about a buildup of creosote in the flue. Creosote is a fine carbon powder that’s part of wood smoke. If enough creosote collects in the flue, a chimney fire is inevitable. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) advises homeowners with wood-burning fireplaces to have their chimneys cleaned every year to avoid any buildup.
- Brickwork and mortar problems: Fixing crumbling brick and mortar are two of the biggest types of repairs chimneys need in Central Florida. Not only is a collapsing chimney a problem, but damaged brick can lead to leaks and other roofing issues. Making timely repairs is the best way to ensure the problem doesn’t get out of hand.
- Chimney crown: Unless you have a chimney cap (which we recommend), the top of your chimney is the crown. If the crown becomes cracked, moisture can easily make its way down into the chimney system, wreaking havoc along the way. During your annual inspection, your roofing contractor will check to ensure there aren’t any cracks that need to be sealed.
- Cracks in the flue: As mentioned above, a fire in the chimney flue is a very real possibility if it’s full of creosote. Chimney fires can also breakout if the flue is cracked or otherwise compromised. Without a professional inspection, it’s impossible to know whether or not your flue is cracked, so we advise scheduling one as soon as possible.
Call Winter Springs Roofing & Repair to fix your chimney
Few companies out there can perform all the repairs chimneys need in Central Florida. Here are a few of the reasons why customers come to us for all of their chimney repairs:
- Experienced pros: With over 35 years of industry experience, you can rest easy knowing that our team can handle any types of repairs chimneys need in Central Florida! Whether it’s making a small repair or reconstructing the entire chimney, we’re the team for the job.
- First-time results: Choosing a cut-rate contractor could mean they need to come out several times before the issue is fully resolved. That’s not the case when you work with Winter Springs Roofing & Repair—we promise you’ll be satisfied with the results after we’re finished with the job.
The choice is clear—be sure to call us for all the types of repairs chimneys need in Central Florida! Give us a call today to schedule repairs or to learn more about our services.