While the most popular roofing material for residential purposes is asphalt shingles, you do have the option to install a metal roof. Metal roofs have started becoming more popular for residential properties, largely due to the technology improving and allowing for more attractive finishing options. Previously there had been a bit of a stigma associated with metal roofs, largely due to their perception as being ugly, but that no longer has to be the case.
Here are just a few examples of some of the biggest benefits associated with metal roofs for homes in central Florida:
- Aesthetics: As we mentioned above, the aesthetic aspects of metal roofing have come a long way over the years. Today you can find metal roofing options available in a wide variety of designs that can enhance your home’s curb appeal. You can find standard panels, or other styles that look very much like conventional shingles or tile. Metal roofs also come in many different colors and finishes so you can select an option that fits your home’s style and color scheme.
- Durability: Metal roofing is highly durable in a variety of ways. One important consideration is that it is extremely hail resistant. A study by the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety revealed metal roofing is significantly less likely to be damaged by hail than standard asphalt shingles.
- Lower energy costs: The coating and design of metal roofing enables it to reflect the energy of the sun and avoid absorbing heat, which can help you to reduce energy costs by as much as 20 percent over standard asphalt shingles. The coating you’ll find used on metal roofing panels features special pigments that give it this reflective capability. Cutting your energy costs means a significant amount of money saved on your monthly utility bills, and those savings can add up in a big way over a long period of time.
- Quiet: Many people expect metal roofs to be noisy when it rains or hails, but in truth, metal roofing actually tends to be quieter during storms compared to shingles or clay tile. This is because the majority of the noise gets absorbed by the extra building materials that are located between the roof and the living spaces.
- Long lasting: The outstanding durability of metal roofing and the long-lasting nature of the material affords it a lifespan of up to 60 years, meaning you will almost certainly never have to replace the roof again so long as you own the home. This is a much longer lifespan than what you can expect out of most asphalt shingle systems.
- Safety: There is a common misconception that metal roofs are more susceptible to lightning strikes, because metal conducts electricity. First, it should be noted that the odds of lightning striking a metal roof are the same as lightning striking any other kind of roof. But if a strike does occur, the metal roofing will not ignite, because it is not combustible.
For more information about the various benefits of metal roofing for residential homes in central Florida, contact the team at Winter Springs Roofing & Repair today.