It’s crucial that you have your roof regularly inspected by a professional—even if you think it’s in great condition—to realize any potential damages that may be lurking out of sight and out of mind. Not catching warning signs early enough can have dramatic consequences on your roof and your home—particularly if you’re vulnerable to water damage or have failing structural items to worry about.
There are some common warning signs that will point to the need for roofing services in Central Florida, however without a keen professional eye to spot them, you might find that you’re ignorant to their telltale signs.
The next time you’re scheduling your annual inspection, inquire about the following areas of concern that many roofs suffer from:
- Damaged flashings: Flashings that are older can experience rust or degradation as a result of years spent protecting the various convergences of your home. Depending on the material being used for your flashings, you might find that your have to replace them sooner, rather than later.
- Cracked caulk: Like flashings, caulk is meant to help seal your home against the intrusion of moisture. If caulk is dried, cracked or broken off, it means that water will now have a gateway into your home.
- Cracked or broken tiles: Tiles are highly resilient, but if they’re not properly protected from the elements, they too can crack, split and break apart, giving the elements a direct shot at your underlying roofing materials. Make sure that your tile is in good standing and if it’s time to reevaluate your roofing materials, have them glazed for added protection.
- Cracked/worn rubber boots: Assuming your roof is properly ventilated, you’re going to want to ensure that the status of the rubber boots surrounding your vents are good—if they’re cracked, damaged or missing, it’s yet another way for moisture to enter your home.
- Chimney damages: Your chimney is a huge area for concern when you consider the condition of your roof. This is the only part of the roof that actually stretches down into your home, meaning if it’s compromised, you’re going to experience damages throughout your home.
- Moss/lichen/mildew/mold: Any sort of growth on your roof is something that should be addressed immediately with roofing services in Central Florida. This means two things: that your cement tiles are no longer protected against moisture and that you need to have your roof re-glazed to ensure no further harm comes to it.
Remember, these are just a few things that should be looked at the next time you have a roofing inspection undertaken on your home. A professional contractor will look for issues more thoroughly, but it’s still a good idea to understand at least some of the common issues that you could be faced with in the wake of owning a roof.
Have a Winter Springs Roofing & Repair specialist come out and inspect your tile roof today and allow us to be your provider of roofing services in Central Florida!