Have you ever asked, “Can a roof be storm proofed in Central Florida?” We have a simple answer: yes, it can! This post from your roofing experts will cover everything you need to know about storm proofing your roof for the upcoming hurricane season.
Types of storm proofing
Believe it or not, there are multiple ways you can prep your roof for hurricane season. Here are a few of the most common ways to get a storm proof roof in Central Florida:
- Water barriers:Regardless of the types of shingles on your roof, they’re bound to blow away in hurricane-strength winds! When that happens, your roof and home are both vulnerable to water damage and leaks. The best way to prevent these issues is by adding a water barrier directly under the shingles, so that the deck will be safe even if the shingles go missing. Additionally, the barrier keeps your home more energy efficient throughout the year.
- Roof-to-wall anchoring: Reinforce your roof and walls during a hurricane by anchoring them to each other. Roof-to-wall anchoring creates a continuous load path and allows your home to withstand much stronger winds than it normally would. Of course, you’ll still need to worry about your windows, but at least your walls won’t blow over and your roof won’t fly off!
- Gable ends: If your home has gables that are taller than four feet, we recommend reinforcing the framing at the top and bottom of each gable. This simple procedure adds one extra layer of protection to both your home and your roof during a strong storm.
Benefits of storm proofing
Storm proofing a roof has tons of benefits and no downsides. In addition to increased safety, here are a few of the main reasons you should always storm proof your roof:
- Less damage: We can’t guarantee that your home won’t sustain any damage after a big storm, but we’re certain that your roof will be in much better shape if it’s storm proofed prior to the hurricane. You might have to replace a few shingles once the storm passes, but that’s a whole lot better than replacing your whole roof, if you ask us!
- Increase home value: Did you know that homes with a storm proof roof are much more valuable than those without one? It’s true, and it makes a lot of sense if you think about it. After all, if you’re a potential homebuyer, wouldn’t you want to purchase a safer house that requires less maintenance after a storm?
- Prolonged lifespan: By storm proofing your roof today, you can ensure your home lasts through this hurricane season and many more in the future. Along with storm proofing now, we recommend having your roof inspected after any major storm to ensure it doesn’t need any small repairs along the way.
Hurricane season is just around the corner, so call us today to set up an appointment with Winter Springs Roofing & Repair to ensure you have a storm proof roof in Central Florida!